Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Story of the hare and the tortoise. (tortoise perspective)

Once upon a time there was a hare and a tortoise. The hare was intelligent and thinks highly of himself and always look down on the tortoise. The tortoise was slow but hardworking.
One day, the hare jumped in front of me. “Hey tortoise!” he shouted “You crawl so slowly. When are you going to reach your destination?”
Feeling irritated, I replied “You are not as good as you think.” The hare laughed. “I won everyone in a race in this town except for you!” the hare sneered.
“Want to have a race with me?” the hare challenged. I continued to crawl trying to ignore the hare. “You are not afraid to lose are you?” Just before the hare was about to speak again, I looked at the hare. “Let’s have a race.” I agreed with a grinned on my face.

We both went to the starting line. All the animals in the town came to watch us race. “The hare will win for sure!” one of the animals whispered. I will teach the hare a lesson that he will never forget. I thought. The hare told me the rules and regulations of the race.

The voice of the hare rang the air when he shouted “go”. The hare dashed forward while I crawled slowly. The animals did not move a single inch of their body and watched me. Some started to comment after a few minutes.

Few hours passed, I was reaching the finishing point. I turned my head and saw the hare sleeping soundly under the tree. I glanced at him and shook my head. Slowly. Very slowly. I crawled to the finishing line.

All the animals were shocked to see me instead of the hare. One started to clap and cheer. The others followed. Hearing the clapping sound the animals, the hare dashed to the finishing line.

He stood at the finishing line. His eyes widen and his jaws dropped. “I lost to a slow tortoise,” he muttered to himself.

“Hare,” I called. “You should have learnt a big lesson. You should be hardworking and never be complacent. You should try your best in everything you do and not think too highly of yourself. This will cause you a great downfall.”

The hare looked at me with tears in his eyes and nodded his head.

No comments: